Locks are the most critical security equipment in your home. Studies have shown that a good quality lock is a deterrent to burglars. However, there are several options available on the market. So how do you choose the right locks? You can consult a qualified locksmith A-1 Locksmith, in West Palm Beach, Florida find out which locks are the best solution for your home and needs.
Below is a list of items you should consider when selecting locks for your home.
- Install a Deadbolt Lock on the Front DoorResidential construction uses two types of bolts on exterior doors – latch bolts and deadbolts. The latch bolt is a spring-loaded bolt and it automatically locks when the door closes. The drawback is you can accidentally lock yourself out if you leave the keys inside. Also, intruders can overcome these locks by manipulating the bolt to the open position. A deadbolt, on the other hand, is not spring loaded, it is manually operated by either a thumb turn or by a key. A deadbolt extends farther into the strike plate than a latch bolt. Thus, deadbolts are the best solution for your external doors.
- Choose a Grade One Door LockThe grade is a measure of security and strength of door locks. Grade one is the best in this regard. Different types of door locks are tested differently under ANSI standards, but the grading system is the same. This means a grade one bored latch set or a grade one deadbolt are considered the best grades in each category. A professional locksmith will suggest an ANSI grade one deadbolt for your front door.
- Buy Locks with Key Control A key control means having command over who has a copy of the key to your home. Earlier types of door keys could be easily replicated at local hardware stores. However, now, many manufacturers offer locks with keys that cannot be duplicated except by themselves or by individual locksmiths.
- The Price of LocksPrice is important, but should not be a deciding factor in choosing the right locks for your home. Prices can start from just a few dollars per door. The price depends on the security level needed, the number of locks changed and labor.
- Need for Additional SecurityApart from installing quality locks; sometimes you need other security measures. Depending upon the security needs of your home, you may need grills, fences, alarms, and CCTV.
For more information, or to secure our services, please call (store).